This section should be relatively easy to cover quickly. Every participant should be provided a hard copy of the current regulation pamphlet for the state they will be hunting in.
Rather than reading the pertinent regulations, we recommend that an interactive, facilitated discussion of the types of regulations that deer hunters should know, followed by an “open book” search for the regulations by individuals or teams of participants. This will allow the participants to become familiar with the structure of the regulations pamphlet, as well as obtain the information that they need.
State-specific regulations that should be covered in detail include:
- General Hunting Regulations
- Hunter orange requirements
- Legal guns for deer hunting
- Specific regulations for deer
- Other regulations specific to the particular hunt they are participating in
- Other seasons they may be able to participate in after the course is over
- Other regulations important to this hunt or other upcoming opportunities
- Application deadlines
Since this topic will likely be conducted early in the course, it will, to some extent, set the standard for presentations that follow. Be innovative, interactive, inclusive, and involve the participants!